This year, it’s been a tragic season for cyclists in Toronto and the only positive news out of this situation is that Ontario’s Chief Coroner has recommended several changes to help make our roads safer for cyclists. The suggestions include:
- Mandatory helmet use for ALL cyclists. Of course, I’m delighted with this proposal and it’s in line with our “Stop Naked Riding” campaign.
- Increase the number of bike lanes.
- Require heavy trucks to install side guards. These are important because they help prevent riders and pedestrians from falling underneath the wheels of the truck. People have been advocating for this change ever since the death of Torontonian Jenna Morrison in November 2011.
- Boosting bike safety education, which is consistent with the work of Tail Wags Helmet Covers and our Mothers Against Naked Riding Campaign.
- Developing a provincial cycling plan. This is apparently already in the works and I am looking forward to seeing these proposals when they are made public.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Bike, Biking, Brain Injuries, General, Health, Helmets, Mothers Against Naked Riding, Mothers Against Naked Riding Campaign, NOBI, Ontario, Safety, Stop Naked Riding, Tail Wags Helmet Covers